Good News, Bad News
Remember, the special interests always make sure there's bad news to report. But I'll start with the good news. Our bill to remove tolls once the road is paid for, HB 436 by Matt Shaheen, is FINALLY getting a hearing this Wednesday.
However, three bills to hand our public highways over to private, foreign toll operators are also up Wednesday.
Public Private Partnership toll roads, known as Comprehensive Development Agreements (or CDAs) in Texas statute, are currently ILLEGAL thanks to YOUR hard work for the last 14 years! But the road lobby and an army of special interests who stand to make BILLIONS off these privatized tollways, won't quit, so neither can we! They're trying to do an end run around Governor Abbott's 'No toll' pledge. We need YOUR help to STOP them!
Private toll contracts (CDAs) are BAD:
* Give private, foreign corporations power to tax.
* Most expensive way to build roads, with tolls that can exceed $30-$40/day!
* Taxpayers guarantee profits of private firms with BILLIONS in public money. Public money for private profits!
* Give these private consortiums government-sanctioned monopolies for 52 years!
* Limit construction and expansion of our free lanes, and lowers speed limits on and adds stop lights to our free routes.
* Allow eminent domain for private gain.
* Hand control of our PUBLIC infrastructure to PRIVATE companies voters cannot hold accountable.
See more on why CDAs are anti-taxpayer here.
MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD OR PAY THE PRICE FOR GENERATIONS
THERE ARE TWO HEARINGS ON WEDNESDAY
Please come and make your voices heard. This is when we must pull out all the stops! Being present during the committee makes all the difference as to whether bills fly out of committee or die due to opposition. SILENCE IS APPROVAL!
SEE THE LIST OF 21 TOLL PROJECTS HERE.
(BEWARE: there are projects in every corner of the state. You won't be able to avoid paying tolls, especially on I-35 in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, and San Antonio!)