Category: NewsLink to article here.
Officials consider tolling 'Bergstrom Expressway'
By: Sebastian Robertson
September 18, 2012
Mobility planners have their eyes on a seven-mile stretch of Highway 183, between Highway 290 and Highway 71. It’s a corridor that funnels traffic to and from the airport and dubbed the “Bergstrom Expressway.” Several agencies took public input on the development project Tuesday night.
"Getting it up to modern standards as a nonstop expressway is really critical to the economic development of the community and making life better for everyone as well," Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority Steve Pustelnyk said.
"We hope that with tolling, as a potential funding source that we will be able to see this one through to the end and hopefully by 2020 we will have a road open out there."
Some neighbors aren't too happy with the maps and plans.
"It looks like it is going to make it almost impossible to get out of the neighborhood without having to pay a toll," Austin Resident Brian Parrett said. "It kind of tells everybody that is coming to visit Austin, 'hey welcome to Austin thanks, pay us some money so you can get into our lovely town.'"
Still, it may be several years until we see any changes. A timeline spanning years into the future may reduce traffic someday, but for now drivers must continue to deal with a reality of brake lights.
A decision won’t be made on that portion of Highway 183 for the next two years. For more information on the project head to Bergstromexpressway.com.
- Straus blocks anti-toll amendments from being heard
- Toll agencies oppose traffic studies being made public
- Texas Tribune interview with Transportation Chairmen
- Eminent domain by private high speed rail company draws ire
- Hill country landowner wins a round in legal fight with developer
- Grassroots unveil toll road reforms at Capitol for Toll-free Texas Day
- Austin’s complete streets policy a complete nightmare
- Privacy threats: Electronic invasion, license plate readers to black boxes, drivers under assault
Like Us on Facebook!
Latest Press Releases
- Commissioners approve tolls for northside of San Antonio
- Can TxDOT use gas taxes to support toll roads? Kolkhorst asks AG for opinion on Prop 15
- Passage of Prop 1 opens door to fix 281 without tolls
- Anti-toll candidates snatch key positions in Texas
- Citizens ask cities & counties to oppose Blacklands private toll road
- Election victory represents power shift that will benefit anti-tollers
- Obama seeks to lift ban on tolling existing freeways
- Krier's conflicts of interest pose problem for council seat