Category: Eminent DomainLink to article here.
Judge grants foreign company eminent domain powers for pipeline constructionPosted on September 24, 2012 4:24 PM
By David Yates
A Beaumont judge on Monday granted a foreign company’s petition to condemn land for the construction of a crude oil pipeline.
Last June, TransCanada Keystone Pipeline filed the petition for condemnation against Texas Rice Land Partners, James and David Holland and Mike and Walter Latta.
TransCanada filed the petition seeking to build a pipeline to carry crude from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.
On Sept. 24 Judge Tom Rugg, Jefferson County Court at Law No. 1, ruled that the company has the right to sieze land in Jefferson County for the pipeline.
TransCanada has posted bonds to compensate landowners if a higher court finds that the company ultimately did not have the right to damage the sought after property, court records show.
During a Sept. 12 hearing, Terry Wood, the attorney for the rice farmers, attempted to link the TransCanda case to a ruling made by the Texas Supreme Court last August denying Denbury Green common carrier status in a pipeline project of its own.
However, the Denbury pipeline would have carried CO2, not crude oil.
TransCanada is represented by Thomas Zabel, attorney for the Houston law firm Zabel Freeman.
Case No. 118867
- Toll network that's California-izing Texas
- State agency grants permit to take Hill Country land for private developer despite judge’s ruling
- Federal Highway bill takes center stage in waning hours of Congress
- Accountability, reform, and transparency: Texas legislature delivers mixed bag
- Abbott brought different atmosphere to Texas legislature
- Texas legislature leaves without stopping toll roads
- Alamo city to impose bus-toll lanes on every freeway
- Straus blocks anti-toll amendments from being heard
Like Us on Facebook!
Latest Press Releases
- TxDOT tracks drivers to mine data without their consent
- Commissioners approve tolls for northside of San Antonio
- Can TxDOT use gas taxes to support toll roads? Kolkhorst asks AG for opinion on Prop 15
- Passage of Prop 1 opens door to fix 281 without tolls
- Anti-toll candidates snatch key positions in Texas
- Citizens ask cities & counties to oppose Blacklands private toll road
- Election victory represents power shift that will benefit anti-tollers
- Obama seeks to lift ban on tolling existing freeways