Category: Public Private PartnershipsLink to article here.
Win free gas in naming contest for Loop 820, LBJ toll lanes
By Gordon Dickson
September 24, 2012
What do you call toll lanes - especially those embedded in the median of a freeway that is otherwise non-toll?
Lexus lanes? Carpool lanes? HOV lanes?
If you've got a creative idea for a name, you could win up to $2,500 worth of gas.
The folks rebuilding Loop 820 and Texas 121/183 in Northeast Tarrant County - a project known as North Tarrant Express - as well as the LBJ Express project in north Dallas are putting together a naming contest.
To get all the grimy details, go to namethelanes.com.
The contest is being launched as officials with the North Central Texas Council of Governments initiate the very complicated process of integrating the region's existing high-occupancy vehicle lanes with the plethora of managed toll lanes that are under construction on projects such as North Tarrant Express.
"It helps us with the education process, letting people know how these express lanes, managed lanes or whatever you want to call them are supposed to work," said Robert Hinkle, spokesman for NTE Mobility Partners.
The contest will continue for about six weeks. The first leg of LBJ is expected to be completed by late 2013 and North Tarrant Express is scheduled to be complete by June 2015.
Winners will be chosen randomly. The grand prize is a $2,500 gas card, and other prizes will be offered as well.
- Phillips denigrates anti-toll movement
- Lawmakers introduce package of Toll-free Texas bills
- Abbott state of the state speech promises adequate road funds without tolls
- URGENT! CALLS NEEDED TO STOP TOLLS in SA
- Taxpayers to pay carpoolers tolls
- SCANDAL: TxDOT-Xerox $100 million toll contract blows up in Texas Senate
- Patrick pushes bill to dedicate vehicle sales tax to highway fund
- Tolls impede the American spirit of the open road
Like Us on Facebook!
Latest Press Releases
- Commissioners approve tolls for northside of San Antonio
- Can TxDOT use gas taxes to support toll roads? Kolkhorst asks AG for opinion on Prop 15
- Passage of Prop 1 opens door to fix 281 without tolls
- Anti-toll candidates snatch key positions in Texas
- Citizens ask cities & counties to oppose Blacklands private toll road
- Election victory represents power shift that will benefit anti-tollers
- Obama seeks to lift ban on tolling existing freeways
- Krier's conflicts of interest pose problem for council seat